Scientific Proof of God, A New and Modern Bible, and Coexisting Relations of God and the Universe

Friday, June 15, 2007

Sequiturs and Non-Sequiturs Are Concepts of Atheism, Not God, II

I received this joke in an email yesterday. It is funny but also presents weaknesses in the use of talk languages and the use of sequiturs. In this joke, a talk language uses sequiturs. What caused this joke in Jim’s last statement, the talk language or the sequiturs? The answer is the sequiturs.

The Joke
Two old farmers, Jim and Bob, are sitting at their favorite bar, drinking beer. Jim turns to Bob and says, "You know, I'm tired of going through life without an education. Tomorrow I think I'll go to the community college and sign up for some classes." Bob thinks it's a good idea, and the two leave.
The next day, Jim goes down to the college and meets the Dean of Admissions, who signs him up for the four basic classes: Math, English, history, and Logic.
"Logic?" Jim says. "What's that?
"The Dean says, "I'll give you an example. Do you own a weed eater?"
Jim says,"Yeah."
The Dean says,"Then logically speaking, because you own a weed eater, I think that ; you would have a yard."
Jim says, "That's true, I do have a yard."
The Dean says, "I'm not done," the Dean says. "Because you have a yard, I think logically that you would have a house."
Jim says,"Yes, I do have a house."
The Dean says, "And because you have a house, I think that you might logically have a family." Jim says,"Yes, I have a family."
The Dean says, "I'm not done yet. Because you have a family, then logically you must have a wife. And because you have a wife, then logic tells me you must be heterosexual." Jim says,"I am heterosexual. That's amazing, you were able to find out all of that because I have a weed eater."
Excited to take the class now, Jim shakes the Dean's hand and leaves to go meet Bob at the bar.
He tells Bob about his classes, how he is signed up for Math, English, History, and Logic. "Logic?" Bob says, "What's that?"
Jim says, "I'll give you an example. Do you have a weed eater?"
Bob says, "No.
Jim says, "Then you're homosexual."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home